Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
w00w00

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
datacache.dll issue

*note - also see post #8 about making a STEAM support ticket so Valve will fix this OLD bug - 4est

I'm sure other people must be having it? Where datacache.dll crashes at 0x0000b423 ? Check your event viewer and tell me, apparently Valve knows about this issue.

Anyone found a workaround?

EDIT -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i tried re installing both ff and source sdk base but it didnt fix it. then i tried validating the source sdk base that was mentioned in another thread. it actually let me play 2 and 1/2 maps then crashed again. rejoind right after crash and it crashed in seconds so now im gonna validate both sdk base and FF hope that will solve it
ill post back with results after

well guys i told you ide be keeping you all updated so here is some good news.
i rememberd that if you open your steam games menu right click on FF or any other mod select properties then open "set launch options" and you can set your directx to any version so i used -dxlevel 8 and bam i was able to play no problem no crashes it was original set at -dxlevel 9 so FF dont like directx 9c.
at least not on my pc now having it set at dx8 graphics are not as good but not by much. well i had my video settings low on my videocard so maybe on high they look ok. anyways i wanted to have my graphics look a bit nicer so i had a look see and i realized directx 10 is out been out couple months ago. so i said well FF likes dx8 so lets try and see if it likes 10 and to my surprise it did been playing FF 7 hrs straight no crash. so you all give it a try and see if you have some luck with my solution as well if most of you do plz post back
so ppl can see how many ppl it works for or doesnt work for oh i almsot forgot i still have my video settings medium and sound low im gonna test on high prob sometime this week but not in a rush. im just happy i can play for hours without crashing good luck to you all hope it works
the setting for me is -dxlevel 10

ok i said no crashing after like 7 hrs 9 hours in i droped once, but it didnt act like the normal soundloop, 2 hrs later dropped once more. same thing i didnt actually go through finding out what exactly caused it, i should have but i didnt. I was to tired lol but either way it prolonged droppigng like most ppl every 10-30 or less. At least i can play for hrs on in instead of dropping every 10min this will do for now if it isnt permanent fix. I can deal with this and so can u guys im sure. So lets just hope dev team finds the cure.
On that note im off for the night ill test further on this tomorrow.
Well thinking about it though maybe just overworked my pc.
Plus its not like installing stuff you just use any directx you wish to try, without any harm. Wish you could go through drivers this way

Last edited by 4est; 09-19-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Sureshot
Winner

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've personally submitted a couple of those crashes during beta testing, so the FF team certainly know about it. I'm not aware of a workaround, though.

P.S., this should probably be in the tech forum
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
datacache.dll

ok most of the ppl having the soundloop crashing to desktop problem this is the actual error which needs to be logged by the devs team
AppName hl2.exe AppVer. 0.0.0.0 ModName datacache.dll ModVer 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000b423 ive come across a simular error in DoD'S but the offset is diffrent and if i had any idea what the offset does or means i could fix this but i dont so lets hope devs team gets on this error asap b/c from what im reading alot of ppl are having this same problem.
ok my crying aside i wanna thank the devs team for making this mod a reality
its freaking awsome i just wanna say good job guys.
oh and to all you crybabies out there this is only version 1.0 and yes there will be bugs errors like any other games so just calm yourselfs down for a bit and hang in there im sure all is being worked on but if its not ill just go play in traffic

Well dont know how much it helps but if everyone would be so kind and show their specs, plz do so.

Mainboard : Asus K8N
Chipset : nVidia nForce3 250
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 6800 GT [NV40.5]
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (120 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : SONY CD-RW CRX220E1
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352A
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 19 inches
Operating System :Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c
no good

Last edited by 4est; 09-18-2007 at 09:37 PM.
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
td-

same
http://home.earthlink.net/~shuckit/S...5C1195562.mdmp

Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
td-

fixed by reinstalling ff and source sdk base

Old 09-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
That is good work on the fix... but please, use periods. My eyes hurt.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
promethium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo SkillZ
well guys i told you ide be keeping you all updated so here is some good news
i rememberd that if you open your steam games menu right click on FF or any other mod select properties then open "set launch options" and you can set your directx to any version so i used -dxlevel 8 and bam i was able to play no problem no crashes it was original set at -dxlevel 9 so FF dont like directx 9c
at least not on my pc now having it set at dx8 graphics are not as good but not by much well i had my video settings low on my videocard so maybe on high they look ok. anyways i wanted to have my graphics look a bit nicer so i had a look see and i realized directx 10 is out been out couple months ago so i said well FF likes dx8 so lets try and see if it likes 10 and to my surprise it did been playing FF 7 hrs straight no crash so you all give it a try and see if you have some luck with my solution as well if most of you do plz post back
so ppl can see how many ppl it works for or doesnt work for oh i almsot forgot i still have my video settings medium and sound low im gonna test on high prob sometime this we:ek but not in a rush im just happy i can play for hours without crashing good luck to you all hope it works
the setting for me is -dxlevel 10
I had all those problems,crashes,frizzes,sound looping,failed to lock vertex buffer in CmesDX8: LockVertex Buffer,run time error,pure virtual funcional call and some more weird things..
Solution to all this was to do wat Zero Skillz says..wat i did is run it on dx8 and i have played and no crashes at all..
So i here by thank you Zero Skillz for making my life wonderfull..lol
Hope it will help all this people with their problems..
Happy Huntings everyone

Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Vertigo

I don't know where else to put this but here because it's a sticky and because there are so many different freeze with the sound looping threads (which, in my opinion, are linked to the datacache.dll problem because my computer behaves the same way in those two problems), but here's the thing:

For god's sake, go to steampowered.com , click support up top, click any link on the lower part of that page, then click on the tab that says "Ask a question"

A lot of people are experiencing this problem wether it's in FF or TF2 or whatever the hell other Source game, but only a few are submitting a support ticket. I've had the sound loop problem for over a year, the datacache.dll problem has been an ongoing issue for as long as I can remember, and Valve still hasn't done anything about those issues other than to suggest I run the game with the -dxlevel 70 switch which is rediculous since the game automatically thinks I should run it at high quality in DirectX 9 mode.

My point is, submit a support ticket, let Valve know that their engine is bugged to hell and they better start fixing their shit. Please.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
Apathy

Almost any crash like this on HL2 can be solved as so.

1. Uninstall all hl2 games, including source base.

2. Delete your games directory usually located
Program Files\steamapps\your_account\

3. Reinstall

4. Also, make sure when you are installing to disable anything unnecessary, just in case
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote